Crossroads News
Tue, Sep. 5, 2017 - [Women's Soccer]


SANTA CLARITA, Calif. – Grace's women's soccer team pulled off a 1-0 upset against No. 21 ranked Kansas Wesleyan on Saturday night. Autumn Raulerson's game-winning goal came in the final minutes of a game that seemed destined for overtime. 

After being substituted into the match just minutes earlier, Raulerson scored an unassisted goal at the 87-minute mark.

The match was tightly contested as both teams seemed evenly matched.  The Lady Lancers (2-1-1) outshot the Coyotes 12-10; both teams had five shots on goal. Grace had the advantage in corner kicks 6-2 and in general had a significantly higher portion of possession.

Grace's usual tactics were changed due to the game starting in 105 degree temperatures under the hot California sun. The Lady Lancers wisely used their deep bench liberally throughout the match, gradually wearing down Kansas Wesleyan. Sacia Hanson tried to get Grace on the board early, but her shot at the 21-minute mark was saved by the Coyote goalkeeper. The match flowed nicely in the first half as each team went into the break with only one foul a piece.

In the second half, Grace picked up its attack as a deep bench and fresh legs took its toll on the Coyotes. McKenna Cruz almost put Grace ahead in the 63rd minute. A corner kick by Allison Vroon led to a Cruz header, but the shot was saved. Hannah Tkacz got a shot on frame in the 76th minute, but her attempt was to no avail.

Neither team was poised to give in until Raulerson's goal. KWU had little time to recover. Michelle Rios-Buza tried to score the equalizing goal, but a save by Schue sealed the deal for the Lancers.

Abby Schue earned the shutout win for Grace with five saves; she had support from her back line of Sabina MeyersCarlie SalinasAubrey Feipel and Tkacz.  Vroon, Hanson and Liz Van Wormer led Grace's attack with two shots each.

Grace did a better job at executing its attack in the second half. The Lady Lancers outshot the Coyotes 8-4; their accuracy improved as four of their five shots on goal came in the latter part of the contest. The game was called fairly evenly for both sides as Kansas Wesleyan led in fouls 6-5.